Focaccia bread has been enjoyed in Italy for centuries and is one of the most loved Italian breads. Made with simple ingredients, you can top focaccia with a variety of herbs, spices and veggies. Once baked, it is perfect for dousing in olive oil, slathering with butter or cheese, or even for the sturdy base of a sandwich. With the right technique and a little bit of patience, you can create a delizioso Focaccia loaf for your next weekend get together. Serve it with a portion of our Sun Dried Tomato Pesto to enjoy it even more.
- 300 gms refined flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsps instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ tbsps olive oil + for greasing + for drizzling
- 2 tsps finely chopped, fresh rosemary
- 3-4 black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 ¾ cups water + for spraying
- 1 p. Sorrentina Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- To make your focaccia bread, start with some prep: preheat an oven to 180 degrees C, grease an 8 inch baking tray with oil and keep aside.
- In a small bowl, activate yeast with 2 tbsps of warm water and ½ tsp sugar, set aside for 2 minutes. Once the yeast turns frothy, it is ready to be used.
- Start off by sifting flour, remaining sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add activated yeast and mix well. Add water, 3-4 tablespoon at a time and knead into a soft dough.
- Add olive oil and knead again, place the dough in a greased bowl to prevent it from sticking, cover it with a cling film and set aside for 15-20 minutes or once the dough doubles up in size.
- Dust some flour on a table top and place the proven dough on it. Knock back the dough and mix half the rosemary and half the olives into it.
- Lightly stretch and fold the dough to shape it into a loaf.
- Place it on the greased baking tray and gently press to level it evenly. Cover the dough with a damp muslin cloth and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the muslin cloth and lightly press it with your fingers to create dimples in the dough.
- Sprinkle sea salt, remaining rosemary and olives on top. Drizzle olive oil and spray some water on top. Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Cut into any shape you want and serve with our Tomato Pesto.