Decadent Chocolate Gelato
Prep Time : 5-6 Hours
Cooking Time : 10-15 Minutes
Serves : 6 people
Picture yourself in a charming Italian seaside village as the scent of saltwater wafts through the air and you savour a spoonful of cool gelato under the warm sun. It's the epitome of "la dolce vita," where time slows down and the world seems to pause, allowing you to bask in the delicious simplicity that Italy offers with every bite echoing the joys of an unforgettable Italian summer.
- ¾ cup of grain sugar
- ½ cup bitter cocoa powder
- 1 cup full fat milk
- ⅔ cup 80% dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Transfer ⅓ cup of grain sugar, cocoa powder and lukewarm milk in a saucepan. Heat on low flame until the sugar dissolves.
- Add chocolate to the mix and let it melt in low heat.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, until nice and fluffy.
- Add the chocolate mix to the egg cream. Stir and transfer the mixture to the same saucepan and let it simmer on low heat until the mixture coats the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and add the cold heavy cream. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the chocolate mix into an airtight container and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to the freezer and leave it for about 5-6 hours. To make a smooth gelato, use a hand whisk to churn the mixture well every two hours.
Shop these Italian pantry staples at your nearest gourmet grocery store or order them online via Swiggy or Zomato. For more updates on all things Italian, follow @sorrentina_honestlyitalian on Instagram